The following content is prohibited from being submitted to any Modern Enigma Society mailing list. Posting prohibited content may result in warnings or an immediate ban from Modern Enigma Society mailing lists at the discretion of the moderators.
- Any out-of-character remarks which are sexually explicit, threatening, abusive, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive, derogatory towards any religion, excessively obscene or vulgar, or discriminatory against any class protected by law.
- Any out-of-character remark which promotes or illustrates an illegal activity, including unauthorized file sharing or copyright infringement, are prohibited. Likewise, links to sites that contain such information.
- Out-of-character personal attacks. Users should take special care to prevent in-character activity from being perceived as an out-of-character attack.
- Out-of-character content which appears deliberately designed for the purpose of angering or insulting others (known as “trolling”).
- Any personal information that is not your own, unless explicitly authorized to do so by the person whose information you are posting.
- Out-of-character information known to be factually inaccurate. Opinions are welcome, but honesty is required.
- Any out-of-character emails exchanged privately, unless explicitly authorized to do so by the author of the email being copied to the mailing list.
- Spam. This includes off-topic or excessive advertising.
In addition, posts to Modern Enigma Society mailing lists should meet the following guidelines. Violations of these guidelines may result in warnings, and repeat violations may result in removal from Midnight Dance mailing lists.
- Avoid excessively long signatures. 4 lines gives room to name the Modern Enigma Society office and even a clever quote. More than 8 lines of signature is always excessive.
- Include the author’s name and the Modern Enigma Society membership number. Make sure that if we search for your number in a database, we can recognize your name from the search results.
- Use a reasonable subject line summarizing your post. “Praxis in Boston,” “Game announcement,” and “Ride wanted for NERE” are good subject lines. “RE: re: Re: FWD: F: Hey!” or “IC post” are poor subject lines. Take a few seconds to choose one that will inform the reader.
- Trim your posts. It’s good to quote a few lines of what you’re replying to in order to keep the flow of conversation. Even a whole paragraph. It’s unacceptable to quote a hundred lines of text to add “Me, too!” Under no circumstances should you ever quote an entire digest.
- In-character lists should include out-of-character commentary as rarely as possible. When absolutely necessary to include out-of-character information, keep it as short as possible, and make sure it’s clearly marked.
- Be courteous and cordial to other users of these mailing lists, and other members of the Modern Enigma Society.
Modern Enigma Society does not prescreen, monitor, or edit the messages sent via this service, but does reserve the right to do so at any time at its sole discretion. Notwithstanding, each user remains solely responsible for any and all content he or she submits to any mailing list. You acknowledge that all posts made to these lists express the views and opinions of the author only and not the administrators, moderators, webmaster, or corporate officers affiliated with the Modern Enigma Society NPO.
When registering for a mailing list, you may be asked for personal information such as a name, The Modern Enigma Society membership number, the Modern Enigma Society offices which you may hold, data on characters you may portray, and so forth. By submitting this information, you consent to having this information stored in a database. This information will not be shared with any third party without your consent (except by legal subpoena), but the Modern Enigma Society NPO nor its officers or administrators shall be held liable should this data be compromised.